How to get started in Adult Coloring?
Getting started in Adult Coloring can be done without spending much money. It adds hours of fun and benefit to your life. Of course, you can spend more money on this hobby if you want to but really you don’t need a lot of money to get started. You should be able to give this hobby a try for under $5.00.
What do you need to get started?
- A set of coloring pencils,
- A picture to color, and
- A pencil sharpener.
Many people have some old colored pencils lying around from their own childhood or maybe their kids have some as part of their toys. If you don’t have any pencils at home, you can usually buy a set of pencils from any of the discount stores around. I bought my first set of 36 coloring pencils for $3.99 (Australian dollars) and a sharpener for $0.99. There are literally thousands of Adult Coloring Books available with all levels of price points. Again if you are looking for an economical set of books check out your local discount stores, Kmart, Target, Walmart, Amazon, Book Depository, etc. If you have access to the internet, a computer and a printer there are also many free coloring pages you can download to color. Check out my page on Free Coloring Pages Downloads for some links on a range of great free coloring pages.
Try it first before spending a lot of money
I suggest only spending a small amount when you’re first starting out. It’s a good idea to try coloring in first to see if you enjoy it. If you find it’s something you really like, you are having fun, it’s helping you to feel relaxed and de-stressed, then you can always invest more in coloring supplies.
Do you really need to have expensive pencils?
Many people will tell you that you need expensive tools to ensure you have great art ie “you get what you pay for”. This might be true in some cases. It can be easier to blend colors with expensive artist quality pencils than with the cheaper pencils available at discount stores. However, there is also a lot of truth to the point that “it’s not what you’ve got but how you use it”. I’ve seen some fabulous examples of colored pictures that have been done using very cheap colored pencils. I’ve also seen some examples of very amateur looking pictures which have been colored using some really expensive pencils. There are a range of techniques you can use to make your coloring look its best no matter how much your pencils cost.
Another great way to get started with adult coloring is to check out your local library. Many local libraries have coloring events where everything is supplied so you can try coloring for yourself. These events can be a fun way to meet other people who color. You could make some new friends and color some great pictures as well!
Yes!! It really is that simple to get started
- Set of colored pencils – cheap pencils are definitely fine!
- Coloring book or free downloadable pages
- Pencil sharpener
So What do you Do Next???
Once you have decided you want to keep coloring you might like to:
- Try different brands of Coloring Pencils
- Try different coloring media such as Gel Pens, Markers and Watercolor Pencils
- Try different coloring books with different quality paper, more intricate designs, different types of pictures, etc.
- Try a few coloring tips such as blending with Vaseline or baby oil or how to add a background to your pictures. It’s easier than you think!
- Check out the Coloring Tools & Accessories page if you want to see a detailed review of the different types of tools, their qualities and relative price ranges.
- Join a Facebook Group on Adult Coloring; post your picture on Instagram, Pinterest, or other social media.
Don’t forget to Sign up so we can let you know when something new is added.