Disclaimer: This review was conducted by Suzy Goodyear. This item was purchased by me as part of my personal collection. Some of the links below are associated with affiliate programs which provide me with a small commission from any orders you may place. This will not affect the price or quality of products you receive but will assist me with the costs involved in running this site. For more details please see our Disclosure Statement.
Staedtler Luna ® Coloured Pencils are wax based pencils with a hexagonal barrel shape. They are sold in a maximum of 24 count sets.
- Pencils are light to hold
- Hexagonal barrel means they are easy and comfortable to hold and won’t roll off a flat surface.
- Color of pencil barrel is a reasonable indicator of the color of the pigment
- Little pressure required to achieve good color coverage
- Vibrant colors
- Lovely smooth feel on paper when coloring
- Generally easy to sharpen to a point for detail work
- Colors are the same across the Staedtler range of products (pencils, fineliners, fibre-tip pens) which is a benefit when coloring with mixed media
- Produces some pencil dust when coloring
- Limited range of colors
- No color name or number printed on the barrel
- $$ – typically AUD $5.01 – $20.00 / US $3.76 – $15.00 / £2.61 – £10.00 / €3.31 – €13.25
Conclusion / Recommendations
- These are excellent value colored pencils
- These pencils don’t require much pressure to get the best out of them so if you have any fine motor, hand or arm problems these may be a good option
- The major downside is the limited color range
- If you can only afford one set of reasonably inexpensive pencils, I recommend these