Disclaimer: This review was conducted by Suzy Goodyear. This item was purchased by me as part of my personal collection. Some of the links below are associated with affiliate programs which provide me with a small commission from any orders you may place. This will not affect the price or quality of products you receive but will assist me with the costs involved in running this site. For more details please see our Disclosure Statement.
Prismacolor ® Premier Colored Pencils are artist quality wax based pencils with a round barrel shape. They are sold in a maximum of 150 count sets.
- Pencils are slightly heavier to hold than many other brands
- Excellent color range
- Almost no pressure required to achieve excellent color coverage
- Vibrant colors
- Very smooth, buttery feel on paper when coloring
- Easily able to apply many layers of color and blend colors
- Name and number of the color is printed on the pencil barrel
- Color of pencil barrel is a good indicator of the color of the pigment
- Soft leads
- Artist quality pencils with a high pigment to binder ratio
- Round barrel means they can easily roll off a flat surface which can break the lead core
- Some pencil dust while coloring
- Pencil barrel is slightly thicker than many less expensive pencils so can be tricky to sharpen in a standard sharpener
- Soft leads mean these pencils can require more frequent sharpening than other types of pencils
- $$$$ – typically AUD $50.01 + / US $40.01 + / £26.76 + / €33.01+
Conclusion / Recommendations
- Excellent quality of colored pencils with a fantastic vibrant color range
- These pencils don’t require much pressure at all to get the best out of them so if you have any fine motor, hand or arm problems these may be a good option
- They blend and layer well without other blending tools
- There have been quality problems reported by many other users, eg frequent breaking of leads. I personally have not experienced this with the set I have.