Review of The Little Book of Calm Coloring
Disclaimer: This review was conducted by Suzy Goodyear. This item was purchased by me as part of my personal collection. Some of the links below are associated with affiliate programs which provide me with a small commission from any orders you may place. This will not affect the price or quality of products you receive but will assist me with the costs involved in running this site. For more details please see our Disclosure Statement.
- David Sinden and Victoria Kay
- Bluebird an imprint of Pan Macmillan (2013)
- Approximately 5 inches x 7 inches (12.5cm x 18cm)
- There are 63 pages to colour in the book
Quality of Paper
- Average – the paper is slightly thicker than standard printer paper
- The paper does allow for a range of coloring media to be used but it is worth noting that water-based markers and gel pens will shadow and may bleed through. Alcohol markers will definitely bleed through the paper.
- The paper is a white color
Single or Double Sided Print
- Single-sided print with motivational sayings on the reverse page
Intricacy of Designs
- There is a variety of designs from very simple to moderately intricate
Types of Pictures
- The book contains a variety of pictures
- There is a mix of florals, leaves, abstract patterns, birds, fish, etc
- Spine is flexible enough for coloring page to be laid flat
- Glued and stiched
- No perforated / removable pages
- Over time the pages can come loose from the binding
- This is a pocket sized book that is very easy to fit in a handbag or backpack for coloring on the go
- Reasonable variety of picture styles
- Reasonable variety of difficulty levels
- Single-sided prints
- Small size is perfect for placing in a handbag or backpack, great portability
- Motivational sayings on back of coloring pages
- Whilst the paper allows for use of many different coloring media, alcohol based markers eg Sharpies, Bic Mark-its, Copic markers, and similar types of markers will still bleed through to the back of the page.
- Pages are not easily removable ie no perforations
- $$ – typically AUD $5.01 – $20.00 / US $3.76 – $15.00 / £2.61 – £10.00 / €3.31 – €13.25
Conclusion / Recommendations
This is one of my favourite go to adult coloring books when I’m in the mood for something quick. The size of the pictures being pocket-sized means I can easily complete a picture in one sitting. That always gives a sense of achievement.
I have used both very cheap and some artist quality pencils, gel pens, water-based markers and alcohol based markers (Sharpie ® Permanent Markers) so far in this book. Everything I have used has flowed smoothly across the page as I colored. I have had some shadowing from the water-based markers and gel pens and definite bleed through from the alcohol-based markers. This is not too much of a problem as the pictures are all printed on only one side of the page.
This book is also extremely portable making it easy to take in a small handbag or backpack when travelling. It’s also great for those times when you are sitting in a waiting room before an appointment. The compact size means it works well for traveling to work on the train or even when flying. It’s just so easy to fit on an airline tray table!
If you like abstract designs and pictures of birds, flowers, and leaves, all in a compact pocket-sized book then you should find coloring enjoyment and relaxation with this book.
Where to Buy this Product:
Other Reviews of this book:
- MyGreenCow (You Tube Review)