Disclaimer: This review was conducted by Suzy Goodyear. This item was purchased by me as part of my personal collection. Some of the links below are associated with affiliate programs which provide me with a small commission from any orders you may place. This will not affect the price or quality of products you receive but will assist me with the costs involved in running this site. For more details please see our Disclosure Statement.
- Christina Rose
- Bell & Mackenzie Publishing Limited (2015)
- Approximately 11 inches x 8¼ inches (28.0cm x 21.0cm)
- There are 47 pages to color in the book
Quality of Paper
- Average – the paper is similar to standard printer paper
- The paper does allow for a range of coloring media to be used but it is worth noting that water-based markers and gel pens will shadow and bleed through. Alcohol markers will definitely bleed through the paper.
- The paper is a bright white color
Single or Double Sided Print
- Single-sided print
Intricacy of Designs
- The designs are very intricate and detailed
- There are a few pictures which have some larger spaces to color for those who prefer larger spaces, however most pictures have lots of small details
Types of Pictures
- Most of the pictures are related in some way to animals and nature i.e. containing butterflies, birds, animals, trees and plants etc
- Tightly bound which can be laid flat for easily coloring in the book itself
- Pages are printed with a dotted line indicating where to cut should you wish to remove the pages from the book
- On the back of each coloring page is an inspirational saying and plenty of space for you to make notes and add any information about your coloring you want.
- There is a space left between the picture and the spine for easy coloring of the entire picture i.e. no pictures are drawn into the spine and there are no double page spreads
- Pictures printed on only one side
- Line showing where pages can be cut so you can remove the pictures from the book if you want to
- Uniquely detailed drawings filled with leaves and flowers
- Whilst the paper allows for use of many different coloring media, alcohol based markers eg Sharpies, Bic Mark-its, Copic markers, and similar types of markers will bleed through.
- Water-based markers and gel pens are likely to shadow on the reverse side and bleed through to the back of the page.
- $$ – typically AUD $5.01 – $20.00 / US $3.76 – $15.00 / £2.61 – £10.00 / €3.31 – €13.25
Conclusion / Recommendations
I love “Dream Catcher: life on earth” with its uniquely beautiful drawings by Christina Rose. It is quite intricate and detailed, perfect for coloring with finleliners. When I want to color something just to help me relax I go to this book with my fineliners and / or gel pens. For some reason, the action of coloring the tiny details with a fineliner is almost meditative. I can feel myself getting into a rhythm and letting go of any stress I had. Because the drawings are not perfectly formed circles or ovals but are more hand drawn shapes I am less overwhelmed when coloring these pictures.
Dream Catcher: life on earth has a broad range pictures featuring animals, birds, flowers, butterflies, etc. There is lots of scope to show your creativity with color in these uniquely beautiful and detailed pictures.
I have used mainly water-based markers and gel pens so far in this book. Everything I have used has flowed smoothly across the page. I leave the pages in the book and color directly into the book. There is shadowing and bleed through on the back of the colored page when coloring with markers. However, as I always use a laminated piece of paper under the picture I am coloring, I have had no bleed through issues onto the next pages in the book. When coloring with gel pens there has been no bleed through to the back of the pages.
Using any media other than colored pencils or Gel Pens such as markers (either water or alcohol based) or watercolor pencils, shadowing and bleed through to the back of the page is likely to result. Alcohol markers will definitely bleed through the paper. If you like to leave your pictures in the book when you color them, I recommend you place another piece of paper or card behind the page you are working on, that way you will avoid having color transfer through to the picture on the next page.
This book is not for those of you who find intricate details overwhelming or challenging. You may also not want to choose this book if you lack patience for lots of small details.
However, if you like intricate designs, animal and nature themes and uniquely beautiful hand drawings, then you should really enjoy coloring the pictures in this book.
Where to Buy this Product: